Monday 19 April 2010

Elluminate-First time user reflections

I logged into Elluminate tonight and joined the practice session, I have not used this system before and wanted to have a poke around for confidence building purposes. I have to admit being taken aback slightly when I realised my initial thoughts that this would involve me and a ‘bot’ moderator were wrong. Fortunately I had been very polite to the moderator who appears to have been real.

It was quite good fun to practice in a safe environment where there was no rush to be able to complete the activity and I was able to ‘play’ with the set-up.

I enjoyed putting smiley faces and pictures on the whiteboard and had a very enjoyable text chat about what the system did and did not do. We explored saving and sending files, the whiteboard and saving chat/whiteboard. We were unable to complete the voice try out as there were technical issues at the other end (maybe the moderator really was a bot as I initially suspected) but apart from that I hope everything was covered.

The only issue I found, was that when I went to upload a file I was only able to browse file names and not icons. I think that if I knew I needed to transfer pictures/documents I would make sure they were easy to locate and well named, but with that knowledge I feel prepared for that eventuality.

I now feel ready to go into a live room and lurk, knowing that once I gain the courage to join in I will know how.

For anyone who has said they may skip it, please don’t, it was not only educational but enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment